blue whale

From: Greg Early (gearly@neaq.org)
Date: Tue Sep 26 2000 - 12:20:10 EDT

Hmmmm...

Can you be a little more specific about this? I assume you are looking for
a girth measurement, but from what location on the whale? I may not be
able to find any precise measurements here, as most of the measurements I
have are from our stranding data base, and blue whales are quite rarely
stranded. In fact the only one I can recall, was quite young and may not be
very representative. One source of information you might want to check
would be the "Discovery Reports" aa old set of data collected on whales
from whaling statistics or from some of the older whaling journals (Reports
of the Whales Institute of Tokyo, or Hvalradets Skrifter).

ge

At 01:53 PM 9/25/00 -0400, you wrote:
>Can you tell me what the circumference of a blue whale is?
>

>_______________________________
>Nancy Huddy
>Department of Pathology
>Smithsonian National Zoological Park