why are they deaf when they beach themselves?

From: NAMMACETA@aol.com
Date: Wed Oct 18 2000 - 15:53:41 EDT

Thanks for your timely question as to whether investigations are being done
on strandings related to powerful underwater sounds. Actually, that is being
done. Unfortunately I do not have the paperwork here in my office, but if
you contact:
Allied Whale Research
College of The Atlantic
Bar Harbor, Maine

there was a conference held there in mid-August devoted to just that topic.
Someone there should be able to give you the names of the organizers and
chief investigators. That should get you started. The focus of the meetings
were mainly about the same issues in the Bahamas and the Caribbean. But
other regions of concern were discussed as well.
Sorry I can't be more help at the moment.

Scott Mercer