dolphin physiology

From: Dagmar Fertl (dagmar_fertl@hotmail.com)
Date: Mon Oct 30 2000 - 13:00:45 EST

Dear Dagmar

I'm doing a project for biology on dolphins. I'm in ninthe grade.There are a
few questions I would like to know the answers to. If you know them please
e-mail me back and you help would be very appreciated. Do dolphins do any
physical or chemical changes? If they do what are they? Are carbohydrates or
proteins important in a dolphin? If they are how? Is echolocation an organ
system? How do dolphins cells transport nutrients and waste? Any question
you can answer will help a lot. Please get back to me as soon as possible.
You can e-mail to basketball-kid@juno.com or to the netzero address.

                                Abby
**********************************
Abby,

Like any living thing, dolphins undergo physical and chemical changes. I'm
not sure exactly what you're trying to ask in regards to this topic, so if
you write back and are more specific, I can try to help.

Echolocation is a process that involves hearing. So, yes, the ear would be
involved, as is the melon. It is not a system on its own, but would be
considered as part of the auditory system, I imagine.

Dolphin cells would transport nutrients and waste much like other mammals
would. Of course, dolphins are equipped specially since they are mammals in
a saltwater environment. There are some excellent books in the library, and
I would also recommend going back to WhaleNet to look at past questions
about physiology.

Good luck!
Dagmar