non-marine mammal question

From: Dagmar Fertl (dagmar_fertl@hotmail.com)
Date: Mon Nov 06 2000 - 09:22:38 EST

Hello! (from México, City)

I would like to know if it is normal for a human body to have an
electrostatic discharges at the point to turn off a T.V. or a computer just
for being near them.

I wanted to turn off a T.V. and I put my finger 2 or 3 inches near the
switch, a big spark walked trough an imaginary line and the T.V. turned off.

This happens to me temporary, I even have broken lamps. This discharges
appear an disappear but I don’t know why. Sometimes, I get desperated
because everything I touch produces discharges (ouch!).

What is it? and how can I manage it?

I´ll wait an answer

Thank you.

Marcela
Marcela,

I think your question would best be directed to a medical doctor or even a
university scientist (physicist or even electrical engineer). I'm here to
answer marine mammal questions, and I don't feel qualified to address your
interesting situation.

Good luck!