Whales-are they carnivores

From: Dagmar Fertl (dagmar_fertl@hotmail.com)
Date: Mon Nov 06 2000 - 09:43:06 EST

I am doing a study for school regarding animals eating habits.I am not sure
whether whales and dolphins are categorised as carnivores because I am not
certain if fish is classed as meat in this context. Perhaps there is a
different term for marine mammals other than carnivore, herbivore and
omnivore.

Please help..........Thank you!
Fish are animals, meaning, they would be considered meat. I think what is
confusing you is that there are many folks who consider themselves
vegetarians, while they are eating fish, but eating fish still means you're
eating meat.

All marine mammals, except for manatees and dugongs (which are vegetarians)
would be considered carnivores. But, even a manatee will eat fish if given
the opportunity, it's just that fish swim too fast and are too agile for a
manatee to catch.

Hope this helps!