whales-distribution

From: Dagmar Fertl (dagmar_fertl@hotmail.com)
Date: Mon Nov 06 2000 - 10:04:14 EST

Dr. Fertl- My name is Mathew Walters and I am beggining a paper on the
the distribution of whales along the U.S. coastal ranges. My professor
would like specifics on what types of whales come there and why only those
certain types come to these areas. Can you help me? Sincerely Mathew
Walters.
*************************
Mathew,

Have you had a chance to run a search thru the WhaleNet website? There's
information on many different types of whales there, particularly ones that
make their way around the coastal areas. It sounds like you're maybe in
college, so I would also recommend that you check the NOAA Protected
Resources Page and dig around on that website. There are stock assessment
reports which will give you biology and distribution information for whales,
dolphins, seals, etc. occurring in U.S. waters. That should be a big help to
you. I also recommend the Sierra Club Handbook on Whales and Dolphins for a
good start on this topic.

Your question really is pretty broad, something that you'll discover when
you start to do more research on the topic. For example, there are toothed
whales and there are baleen whales. Baleen whales typically
migrate...feeding in higher latitudes (north) in the summer and
breeding/calving in warmer waters during the winter. As for what drives
distribution, it's a lot of the same things for other animals...food,
reproduction, etc.

If you have a more specific question after doing some legwork, I'd be happy
to answer those at a later date.

Good luck!
Dagmar