Peduncle - what the heck is that?

From: Dagmar Fertl (
Date: Thu Nov 09 2000 - 17:03:55 EST

In response to a request for help identifying a photo of a humpback whale
feeding, Mike Williams at mentioned a peduncle. Since I can't
raise Mike any more, could you enlighten me as to what is a whale's
Great question. Mike Williamson would have been glad to help you (his email
shortens to:

Peduncle refers to the caudal peduncle, the part of the back which is the
thick part of the body immediately before the flukes (the flippery part of
the tail).

Hope that helps.

Get Your Private, Free E-mail from MSN Hotmail at

Share information about yourself, create your own public profile at

This archive was generated by hypermail 2b30 : Sat Aug 04 2001 - 10:40:13 EDT