Sperm whale information

From: Peter M Scheifele (acousticp2@juno.com)
Date: Sat Dec 02 2000 - 20:12:58 EST

> Can you send any information you might have pertaining to Sperm
> Whales. Especially on the history , breeding, and diving.

First, let me call your attention to the following web site page:
http://whale.wheelock.edu/whalenet-stuff-ed_resources.html#biblio for
more information. Also refer to the Sierra Club Handbook of Whales and
Dolphins and Marine Mammals by Harrison for specifics.

Sperm whales may dive deeper than 1000 m and remain submerged for periods
of an hour or more followed by an extended time at the surface where they
may blow 50 times or more before submerging again. Newborns are about
4.5 m long and weigh a ton. They primarily feed on squid but also eat
octopus and fish. Males stay segregated except when joining maternity
schools for breeding.

There's so much more so get into the references!

Peter M."Skip" Scheifele LCDR USN (Ret.)
Director of Bioacoustic Research, University of Connecticut NURC NA&GL
(Voice) 860-405-9103/9121; acousticp2@juno.com;
scheifel@uconnvm.uconn.edu
www.nurc.uconn.edu
http://ap.nurc.uconn.edu/cos/