specifics of whale blubber structure/composition

From: Pete Scheifele (scheifel@uconnvm.uconn.edu)
Date: Mon Dec 04 2000 - 10:24:58 EST

>could point me in the right direction regarding whale blubber
>information. I am currently in a Biomaterials class where we must write a
>final research paper on a specific biomaterial system. My group has
>decided to focus on whale blubber as our system due to its many
>interesting qualities. In the WhaleNet archives I found some information
>from Dr. Robert Kinney concerning the general physical/chemical structure
>of whale blubber, but I need to find more specific information (ie how is
>blubber layered, the exact chemistry of whale blubber lipids, how does
>diet specifically affect blubber chemistry, etc.). Do you know of any
>book/publication that could point us in the right direction? Or do you
>know of any particular scientist that could aid us?

Three references may be of help:

Harrison, R.J. (ed.) 1974. "Functional Anatomy of Marine Mammals Vol. 2"
Academic Press, NY.

Berta A. and Sumich, J.L. 1999. "Marine Mammals Evolutionar Biology"
Academic Press, NY.

Dierauf L.A. 1990. "Marine Mammal Medicine" CRC Press, Boca Raton, Fl.

I hope these help!
Best
Peter
Peter M. Scheifele LCDR USN (Ret.)