echolocation project assistance

From: Peter M Scheifele (acousticp2@juno.com)
Date: Tue Dec 05 2000 - 23:48:53 EST

Samantha

I'd be happy to help. A couple of items though:
1- I'm not sure of what you mean when you say that you want to compare
and contrast echolocation systems of whales and dolphins...they are the
same.
2- Modern day sonar systems are fashoined after biosonars. This is what
I did when I was in the Navy (marine mammal-sonar technology work).

We need to get more specific and begin work. Let's start by me asking
what you already know about scholocation and about sonar systems and go
from here,eh?
Best
Peter

On Tue, 5 Dec 2000 21:05:09 -0500 "jmcgrath" <jamc@rochester.rr.com>
writes:
> Hi my name is Samantha and I am a student at Albion High School in
> New York. I am currently taking 9th grade Biology. I am very
> interested in Marine Biology and have decided to do a project on
> echolocation, primarily among dolphins and whales. I plan to compare
> and contrast their echolocation systems and then show how similar,
> modern day SONAR machines are to their systems. This project is a
> year long project. I was hoping that you would be able to give me
> some information on this subject. Any inforamtion would be extremely
> useful. Please send me a reply ASAP. Thank you for your time.
>
> Sincerely,
> Samantha

Peter M."Skip" Scheifele LCDR USN (Ret.)
Director of Bioacoustic Research, University of Connecticut NURC NA&GL
(Voice) 860-405-9103/9121; acousticp2@juno.com;
scheifel@uconnvm.uconn.edu
www.nurc.uconn.edu
http://ap.nurc.uconn.edu/cos/