Re: Whale Question

From: Peter M Scheifele (acousticp2@juno.com)
Date: Wed Dec 06 2000 - 20:17:58 EST

> Where are the whales going that lived in Boston
> harbor?
>
> Emily
> Midland Park NJ

Whales don't actually inhabit Boston Harbour although they can get in or
pass through. They would likely be Pilot Whales I would guess.
Certainly in the Gulf of Maine outside of Boston Harbour in and around
the shipping lane and out to the Great South Channel and Stellwagen Bank
there are an array of whales including: Pilot Whales, Humpback, Fin,
Minke whales, Whiteside dolphins and Harbour Porpoise. Most of these are
there on a seasonal basis. The larger whales (Humpbacks, Fins and
Minkes) come around to feed in summer. If the food source gets low they
are not as likely to hang around and they head North. This I know from
years of research experience in the area and from whale watching
statistics.
Best
Peter