General whale question

From: Peter M Scheifele (acousticp2@juno.com)
Date: Wed Dec 06 2000 - 21:13:50 EST

> Please tell me what you know mainly about whales. Not just a certain
> type but all whales have in common. I would like to know things
> like: how do baby whales feed from there mothers and what they eat?

Your question is very broad and hard to answer. There are many things
common to "whales" or cetaceans. Whales are mammals and nurse from their
mothers as babies (milk). When they grow older their diets depend on
what species they are: fish, for many or plankton or krill, or even
squid. I suggest you visit thefollowing sites:

http://whale.wheelock.edu/whalenet-stuff/ed_resources.html#biblio or
http://whale.wheelock.edu/howtofind.html

Good luck!

Peter M."Skip" Scheifele LCDR USN (Ret.)
Director of Bioacoustic Research, University of Connecticut NURC NA&GL
(Voice) 860-405-9103/9121; acousticp2@juno.com;
scheifel@uconnvm.uconn.edu
www.nurc.uconn.edu
http://ap.nurc.uconn.edu/cos/