products from whales

From: Peter M Scheifele (acousticp2@juno.com)
Date: Sat Dec 09 2000 - 16:52:35 EST

> i would like to ask for viable whale products. what processes it
> involves. costs of expenditure and selling. marketability.
> i'd be very thankful if u can help me asap. its for my economic
> biology report. thanks...

There are essentially no "viable" whale products as we can now make
anything that formerly was taken from whales, synthetically. That is the
main reason why whaling is so unnecessary. Although some peoples still
eat whale, it is not a commercially viable species. The biggest
"product" related to whales these days is entertainment. Whether in
aquaria or whale watching at sea, this is the biggest "business" relating
to whales. Most of the great whales are now endangered.

Peter M."Skip" Scheifele LCDR USN (Ret.)
Director of Bioacoustic Research, University of Connecticut NURC NA&GL
(Voice) 860-405-9103/9121; acousticp2@juno.com;
scheifel@uconnvm.uconn.edu
www.nurc.uconn.edu
http://ap.nurc.uconn.edu/cos/