gray whales in San Francisco Bay

From: Peter M Scheifele (acousticp2@juno.com)
Date: Sun Dec 10 2000 - 20:13:50 EST

Dear Maxim

 It seems like there are a
> lot of
> theories to explain why the whale death rate has been higher than
> usual
> during the past 2-3 years. I've read about changes in the plankton
> supply,
> warming of the ocean, whale overpopulation, noise pollution due to
> Navy
> sonar, etc. What explanation do you think is most likely?

I wouldn't attribute any single source to the apparent demise fo the
whales. Things tend to run in cycles and all of the outside problems
don't help much.

> Also, whales have been coming into San Francisco Bay. Isn't this
> pretty
> unusual?

I'm not qualified to answer this part of the question however, whales of
all types periodically enter bays and estuaries. We see it happen in the
St. Lawrence River Estuary and even in Boston Harbour.

Peter M."Skip" Scheifele LCDR USN (Ret.)
Director of Bioacoustic Research, University of Connecticut NURC NA&GL
(Voice) 860-405-9103/9121; acousticp2@juno.com;
scheifel@uconnvm.uconn.edu
www.nurc.uconn.edu
http://ap.nurc.uconn.edu/cos/