Asian Pacific Whales

From: Kim Marshall-Tilas (kimm@oceanalliance.org)
Date: Thu Dec 14 2000 - 10:54:14 EST

Response:
Hello to you!
There are several species of whales known to Asian Pacific waters
including the smaller dolphins species like bottlenosed and spinner
dolphins. Most notably the humpback whale migrates from the cooler
northern waters where they feed to the waters of Japan where they
breed and birth calves. Also known to these waters are killer
whales, many types of beaked whales, sperm whales and pilot whales.
In the northern section you can find bowhead and northern right
whales.
Many of the population numbers of abundant species of cetaceans are
unknown but we do know that are there 12-15,000 humpback whales
worldwide, fewer than 200 northern right whales and bowhead whales
are estimated at 6-12,000 in total. These are current numbers.
Thank you for your question and happy holidays!
Kim

Question:

--
Kim Marshall-Tilas