Blowhole Question

From: Kim Marshall-Tilas (kimm@oceanalliance.org)
Date: Sun Dec 17 2000 - 12:00:01 EST

>Reply:

>Dear Ashley:
>Both toothed and baleen whales have two openings to the nasal
>passage. In toothed whales they are divided internally so only one
>hole is visible where as baleen whale blowholes are separated at the
>surface to form two external blowholes.

The functional differences of toothed and baleen whale blowholes:
Under the toothed whale blowhole opening is a system of tuberances
off the nasal duct and the larnyx which is a goose shaped beak type
structure. All of these parts form a variety of air pockets allowing
the whale to emit measured amounts of air while under water as well
as vocalizations. A blowhole itself is a strong muscular formation
that closes tight and opens like a pair of lips.

In baleen whales there is no goose shaped larynx nor is there
tuberances off the blowhole. There is however a large sack shaped
protuberance on the bottom side of the larynx but the function of
this is not understood.

Make sure you check other information available on WhaleNet about this subject!
Thank you.
Kim

Question:

--