Swimming with whales

From: Kim Marshall-Tilas (kimm@oceanalliance.org)
Date: Sun Dec 17 2000 - 12:07:14 EST

Reply:
>DEAR TIM,
Yes it is illegal to swim with whales unless it is at a permitted
institution like the Dolphin Research Center in Florida or if
organizations like mine (Ocean Alliance) have special permits from
the National Marine Fisheries Service and Fish and & Wildlife to
conduct research on whales in the water. In most other countries you
must also have a permit to be near whales in the water. I sometimes
help with whale rescues but we call them strandings because on most
cases the whales, especially larger whales, are dead. We use these
occurrences to collect samples and study the anatomy of the whale.
The people that work at whale strandings also must be permitted as it
can be dangerous dealing with such a large animal.
Good luck on your project!
Kim

--
Kim Marshall-Tilas