Whale Vomit

From: Kim Marshall-Tilas (kimm@oceanalliance.org)
Date: Wed Dec 20 2000 - 13:12:58 EST

>Reply: Yes toothed whales such as dolphins can vomit. They have
>been noted to vomit forms of food they have eaten such as squid
>beaks, fish bones etc. I am not sure if baleen whales can vomit?

The story of Jonah, if it occurred as it is told, must have been a
sperm whale (toothed whale) that swallowed him and spat him up
although this would not be classified as vomit. The baleen whales
like humpback whales only have a throat diameter of a few inches and
generally eat plankton but again I am not sure if they get sick.
I hope this answers you question - Happy holidays!
Kim

Question:

--
Kim Marshall-Tilas