Whale conservation

From: Phil Clapham (phillip.clapham@noaa.gov)
Date: Tue Jan 09 2001 - 08:04:54 EST

Hi:

We dont know how many whales are harmed by various human activities, at
least not on a daily basis. And if you think about how much ocean there
is out there (a lot!) it's impossible to monitor everything, so with the
exception of a few populations we don't know as much as we need to. We
know that, for the critically endangered North Atlantic right whale,
probably at least one animal a year is killed by a ship collision, and
many animals become entangled in fishing gear; most seem to survive, but
some don't.

As for hunting, these days it is mostly Japan and Norway who continue
whaling, and it is mostly the minke whale in the Antarctic and North
Pacific (Japan) and the NE Atlantic (Norway). The main product is meat,
but everything is used. There are also some native fisheries around the
world which still kill whales, usually on a subsistence basis. The
best-known is probably the Inuit (eskimo) hunt of bowhead whales in
Alaska, which has been going on for probably thousands of years. The
bowhead population in quetsion is doing well despite this.

Phil Clapham

--

Phillip J. Clapham, Ph.D. Large Whale Biology Program Northeast Fisheries Science Center 166 Water Street Woods Hole, MA 02543

tel (508) 495-2316 fax (508) 495-2258 Internet: phillip.clapham@noaa.gov