Swallowed by a whale

From: Phillip J. Clapham (pclapham@whsun1.wh.whoi.edu)
Date: Mon Jan 15 2001 - 09:41:00 EST

Hi:
You asked about the effect of whale digestive acids on human skin. Well,
THAT'S a question I've never had before! As I said in response to another
question, I know of no reliable account of a human being swallowed by a
whale. The only whale with a gullet large enough to do this would be a
sperm whale, and although there are some whalers' tales from the 19th
century of men being swallowed, I seriously doubt they're true. If it did
happen, it's pretty hard to imagine the person surviving!
Phil Clapham