feeding of baby fin whales

From: Phil Clapham (phillip.clapham@noaa.gov)
Date: Wed Jan 17 2001 - 09:29:08 EST

Hi:

Fin whale calves feed every day, though we have no idea how many times a
day they nurse. A fin whale calf is probably around 21 feet long at
birth and one ton in weight; it takes around 80 gallons of milk a day
from its mother and puts on perhaps 150 lbs a day. Fin whale calves are
weaned and leave their moms at around 6-8 of age.

Phil Clapham

--

Phillip J. Clapham, Ph.D. Large Whale Biology Program Northeast Fisheries Science Center 166 Water Street Woods Hole, MA 02543

tel (508) 495-2316 fax (508) 495-2258 Internet: phillip.clapham@noaa.gov