Marine biologists

From: Phil Clapham (
Date: Thu Jan 18 2001 - 07:38:41 EST

Hi Alicia:

What marine biologists do rather depends on what sort of marine
biologist they are. Basically, a marine biologist is anyone who studies
the sea or anything in it, so that includes everything from whales to
fish to plankton to coral to you name it. Some people would also put
oceanographers (those who study either the physical or biological
aspects of the ocean) into this category.

The best thing to do is to look up some marine biology-related sites on
the Web. Try any of the big aquaria (the National Aquarium, New England
Aquarium, and the fabulous Monterey Bay Aquarium in California which you
MUST see someday!) Also look at other sites in marine science
generally, like the Marine Biological Laboratory here in Woods Hole
( or the Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution

Phil Clapham wrote:
> Hello My name is Alicia. I have a question for you. I was just
> wondering,
> what do marine biologist do exactly. I am specifically interested in
> working
> in an aquarium. If you could give me any information or where i could
> go to
> get some that would be great! thank you!
> alicia


Phillip J. Clapham, Ph.D. Large Whale Biology Program Northeast Fisheries Science Center 166 Water Street Woods Hole, MA 02543

tel (508) 495-2316 fax (508) 495-2258 Internet:

This archive was generated by hypermail 2b30 : Mon Feb 25 2002 - 21:05:59 EST