tagging

From: Greg Early (gearly@neaq.org)
Date: Tue Feb 06 2001 - 13:40:29 EST

Kim,

I am assuming, here, that you mean marine mammal (there are a lot more
terrestrial animals tagged than marine animals, and a lot more fish tagged
than marine mammals). Although I do not know for sure, I think it is a
safe bet that pinipeds have been tagged and tracked a whole lot more than
cetaceans. This is because it is relatively simple to get tags to stay on
pinnipeds, by gluing them on. Which seal or sea lion??? Again, I do not
know for sure, but if I had to guess, I would think that elephant seals
have probably been tagged more and studied more extensively than most
pinnipeds. Although some species of fur seals have also been tracked quite
a bit, elephant seals are just so darn large and easy to sneak up on (some
researchers can get tags on and off of them while they are asleep...the
seals not the researchers....), that I would think they have the best
record. Second place would probably go to some species of fur seals that
have also been tracked quite a bit...

ge