whales

From: Pieter Arend Folkens (animalbytes@earthlink.net)
Date: Sun Feb 11 2001 - 15:59:34 EST

>iam a student from springfiled ms and i would like to now about these
>whales:beluga whale,blue whale,bottlenose dolphin,bowhead,fin whale,
>humbackwhale,minke,narwhal,orca,right whale,and the sperm whale. if you can
>send me helpful websites that i can go to.our just send me raw information. i
>look foward for your respons.e-mail me as soon as you can.bye and thank you!

Greetings from barrow, Alaska.

Your question is a bit too broad for this venue. There are several web
sites that have information on the species you listed. Many of these sites
have links to other sites with additional information. For starters, the
WhaleNet site from which you got this address is a good one to start at
<http://whale.wheelock.edu>. Others include the Amercian Cetacea Society,
International Marine Mammal Association <http://IMMA.org.>, Whale and
Dolphin Conservation Society, and many private pages. In each of those I
listed there are links to many other sites which will keep you busy for a
long time. This is a good project to learn how to use search engines. I
recommend AskJeeves or Google.

I also suggest you check out the local library, a large book store, or
Amazon.com for books on the subject. Look into the Sierra Club Handbook
series; the National Geographic books "Whales, Dolphins, and Porpoises,"
and "Dolphins";and a host of others. For extensive reviews of belugas,
blues, minkes, narwhals, orca, and so on, you could look into popular books
specifically about those species. There are many books specifically about
orcas and humpback whales in particular. Fred Breumer has a great couple of
books on the arctic species (beluga and narwhal).

I hope this helps.

Cheers,

Pieter Folkens

   \\|