wildlife conservation

From: Pieter Arend Folkens (animalbytes@earthlink.net)
Date: Sun Feb 11 2001 - 20:48:23 EST

>I was wondering what a kid like me can do to help
>conserve the environment and wildlife species. I have no extra income
>that I can spend on adopting an animal, and I am stuck in school most of
>the time so I can't protest or go whale whatching when I want. Plus,
>there are no clubs that I can join that don't cost money to stay in.

Dear Andrea:

Thanx for the email.

One of the most important things you can do is get educated about the
subjects. The more you know and understand, the more you can share and
influence other people. You'd be surprised what can be accomplished simply
through conversation.

I don't know where you live or your age, but in many places there are
organizations that welcome motivated young people as volunteers. Here on
the West Coast in the San Franciso Bay Area is The Marine Mammal Center
which rescues stranded marine mammals. There are also birding organizations
that conduct raptor counts from time to time.

Another thought is to get a part time job so you will have the $$ to get
more deeply involved.

Cheers,

Pieter Folkens

   \\|