whales, many questions

From: Dagmar Fertl (dagmar_fertl@hotmail.com)
Date: Wed Mar 07 2001 - 20:14:51 EST

Dear Sir:

My grade two class has just started a unit on whales. They are very excited about it, and have alot of questions to ask you. If you could e-mail me the answers, they would really appreciate it. Thanks!

>(1) How big is the Humpback?
>(2) How do you train the Killer Whale?
>(3) Why are male whales called bulls?
>(4) Why are female whales called cows?
>(5) How many whales are there in the ocean?
>(6) How big is the Blue Whale?
>(7) How big is the Sei Whale?
>(8) How big is a Fin Whale?
>(9) How big is the Narwhal's tusk?
>(10) What do whales eat?
>(11) Is there such a thing as a Shark Whale?
>(12) How many dolphins are there in Canada?
>(13) What is the smallest whale?
>(14) How high can whales jump?
>(15) Why are baby whales called calves?
>(16) How long is the Gray Whale's migration route?
>(17) How long do whales live?
>(18) How big is the Humpback's back?
>(19) For how long does the baby calf drink it's mother's milk?
>
>My e-mail address is pumpmead@ccinet.ab.ca Thank you for your time and patience.
>
>Jan Schreiber

>Beiseker, Alberta

Jan,

Many of the questions that your class has, have been previously answered by WhaleNet scientists and the answers can be found in the A.S.K. archives. I think it would be good experience for the students to get a chance to look things up in the archives, as well as some general books about marine mammals. Many of these questions are answered in good field guides like: Leatherwood, S. and R.R. Reeves. The Sierra Club Handbook of Whales and Dolphins.

I'm more than happy to answer any questions that were not previously addressed, so please feel free to recontact me after you and your class have had a chance to go thru the site some more. It's a really great website!

Regards,

Dagmar