Data collection

From: Dagmar Fertl (dagmar_fertl@hotmail.com)
Date: Thu Mar 08 2001 - 13:40:03 EST

Hello, my name is Carrie Fauteux.  I am a Freshman at the University of New Hampshire.  Right now I am doing a small project on how our majors (or the ones we hope for) use English writing in their research and/or data.  My major is still undecided, but my dream is Marine Biology.  I would love to ask you some questions and hope to hear back from you as soon as i can.  I have questions about my project and other questions for me personally about how you got to the work you are doing right now.

First some of the questions i would like to ask is :  1.  How is the data noted in your work.  2. how is your research presented?  3.  How any type of excessive writing is used in your field of work? Why?

Those are just some basic questions.  My main focus is to just know how any type of writing is used while doing your job.

Now- some extra questions i would also like to ask you, not dealing with my project.  After reading your website i was all excited to see you are doing the EXACT work i want to do, except i find myself having trouble on how to get there.  Dolphins, whales, and turtles are the loves of my life.... and that is my main focus on what i want to do with my life.  I just would love to hear all the specifics on how you got to the work youa re doing today.  I am at a confusing part of my life where I DONT KNOW what classes and stuff to take!!  Your experience would just be very interesting for me to hear.

Thank you very much, and i hope to hear from you soon

Carrie Fauteux

Carrie,

The marine mammal field is pretty wide open in regards to the type of work that is done. My own background includes a mixture of work with animals in captivity and in the wild. I'm assuming you're most interested in the work that I did while I was in graduate student. Data was collected in a variety of ways. I took photographs of the dolphins' dorsal fins to identify individuals. I collected behavioral information on the animals by noting on paper and on a taperecorder what the animals were doing. On paper, I marked down how many animals were being seen, if I recognized any particular individuals, and what they were doing around the shrimp boats (which is what the focus of my project was). Is this what you mean by your data collection question? If not, let me know and I'll see if I can do a better job of explaining. I wouldn't want to bore anyone with details that aren't needed. This is all something that gets written down (or done verbally) during the writeup of your research (whether it be a report, thesis, or paper for a scientific journal). For verbal, you have to defend your research to get your graduate degree, and you also give presentations to the public or at conferences, as needed. Poster presentations at conferences are also a possibility. As for 'excessive writing', I'm not sure where you're going with that. Excessive writing is something that both a writer and a reader usually want to avoid :-)

As for the sidebar, I recommend checking out the Society for Marine Mammalogy's website about careers. That probably does the best job of synthesizing all the information on the topic and will most likely answer any questions you might have about the kind of stuff we marine mammalogists did to get where we are. [There should be a link via WhaleNet, and I certainly have provided that link in earlier responses to WhaleNet] If you should have any additional questions after reading that information, feel free to write back.

Good luck on everything!

Dagmar