Dolphins, sex

From: Dagmar Fertl (dagmar_fertl@hotmail.com)
Date: Fri Mar 09 2001 - 19:28:40 EST

Hi,

I read somewhere that dolphins are the only creatures besides humans that have sex for the sake of having sex, as opposed for procreative purposes. Is this true?

Thanks
Pete
Pete,
Sex is a complicated thing. Whenever a dolphin biologist sees dolphins have sex, we called it "socio-sexual" behavior, since we do not know if the sex is for reproductive purposes or social purposes. Kind of the equivalent of a handshake for dolphins. Sex is observed between mothers and their calves, females and males, males and males, and females and females. Basically, sex is also for social purposes for them. I guess you could liken it to the way it is for some people.

Be aware that chimpanzees are known to have sex for social purposes as well - in conflict resolution type matters. Frans de Waal has done some interesting work on this topic - Chimpanzee Politics is an excellent book that I highly recommend.

Hope this answers your question.

Sincerely,

Dagmar