pilot whale behavior with humans

From: Peter M Scheifele (acousticp2@juno.com)
Date: Tue Mar 20 2001 - 23:43:18 EST

Hello Jonathon

Pilot whales in general do not "hang out" with people. They tend to try
to keep away from them as a general rule. This also goes for attacks on
them. As far as I know the behavior of all pilot whales is the same.
Best
Dr. Pete

On Mon, 19 Mar 2001 20:47:31 -0600 "Tom Hill" <teh2@home.com> writes:
> Hi, my name is Jonathan. I am in third grade and doing a report on
> the pilot whale.
>
> I would like to know how pilot whales interact with humans. How do
> they behave if they are attacked by humans? How do they behave if
> humans want to swim with them or to play with them? Will they let a
> human touch them? Will they let a human feed them?
>
> Do the long finned pilot whales behave differently with humans than
> the short-finned pilot whales? If they do,
> please tell me what the differences are.
>
> Thank you very much,
> Jonathan

Peter M."Skip" Scheifele LCDR USN (Ret.)
Director of Bioacoustic Research, University of Connecticut NURC NA&GL
(Voice) 860-405-9103/9121; acousticp2@juno.com;
scheifel@uconnvm.uconn.edu
www.nurc.uconn.edu
http://ap.nurc.uconn.edu/cos/