Re: Japanese fishing and whales

From: Peter M Scheifele (acousticp2@juno.com)
Date: Fri Mar 23 2001 - 13:36:59 EST

Dear Ms. Imp

The international law does make provisions for some native cultures to
'take' animals. On the other hand, not every country (including Japan
participates in it. That's the long and short of it. Its not good.
Best
Peter

On Fri, 23 Mar 2001 13:02:17 -0500 Veronica Lansing
<LansingV@greenville.k12.ny.us> writes:
> Dear Peter,
> Why are the Japanese still allowed to hunt whale,
> when its
> not significant for thier diet? I thought that there was an
> international
> law not permiting any hunting of whale.
>
> Thank -you
> Ms. Imp

Peter M."Skip" Scheifele LCDR USN (Ret.)
Director of Bioacoustic Research, University of Connecticut NURC NA&GL
(Voice) 860-405-9103/9121; acousticp2@juno.com;
scheifel@uconnvm.uconn.edu
www.nurc.uconn.edu
http://ap.nurc.uconn.edu/cos/