Humpback Migration

From: Peter M Scheifele (acousticp2@juno.com)
Date: Sat Mar 24 2001 - 12:03:02 EST

Dear Ms. Outerbridge

The group of Humpback Whales that you are interested in take summer in
the eastern North Atlantic as far as the Saint Lawrence Bay where they
feed on Krill and fishes of those waters including the American Sand
Lance. In the Gulf of Maine the Sand Lance has seemingly become a
preference over the last ten years or so. They head back down and stop
at Bermuda and continue on to the West Indies south to Trinidad where
they winter and calf (rarely eating). This is the quick version of
things. I'll see if I can find more specifics.
Best Regards,
Peter

On Sat, 24 Mar 2001 00:21:31 -0500 "slouterbridge"
<slouterbridge@northrock.bm> writes:
> Dear Sir,
> I am a museum guide, besides doing many other jobs at the Bermuda
> Underwater Exploration Institute in Bermuda and talk about the
> humpback whales that migrate past Bermuda in late March/April.One
> question that no one seems to know the answer to is where these
> whales come from before the go to the caribbean and then Bermuda?
> What I want to know is where they start from? I understand there are
> different pods in different areas ie: the humpbacks of Hawaii, are
> they the ones that pass the West coast of British Columbia, Canada
> and the west coast of the U.S.A? Do they originate from Alaska,
> returning to Alaska? Where do the ones originate from that pass
> Bermuda and head towards the east coast of U.S. and up by Nova
> Scotia and New Foundland in Eastern Canada? Where are the finally
> heading to??
> From what i understand a study is being done in our waters to see
> what they are feeding on while they stop and rest in Bermuda, and at
> present we don't know what it is, but we want to find out so we
> don't elimate their food source accidentally. Do you have any idea
> with all the studies being done on these humpback, perhaps a guess
> at what it might be?
> Thank you for any response to these questions you might be able to
> give me. The whales have started arriving already and i would like
> to know the correct information so i can relay it in my tours.
> Sincerely,
>
> Sandra Outerbridge
> Visitor Services and Volunteers Coordinator at Bermuda Underwater
> Exploration Institute.

Peter M."Skip" Scheifele LCDR USN (Ret.)
Director of Bioacoustic Research, University of Connecticut NURC NA&GL
(Voice) 860-405-9103/9121; acousticp2@juno.com;
scheifel@uconnvm.uconn.edu
www.nurc.uconn.edu
http://ap.nurc.uconn.edu/cos/