Sperm Whales & Telephone Cables

From: Peter M Scheifele (acousticp2@juno.com)
Date: Sun Mar 25 2001 - 15:16:01 EST

The rumour that a sperm whale was caught in a cable I cannot confirm but
I can definately confirm the fact that Sperm Whales are one of the
deepest diving whales. I would get hold of a good book such as the
"Sierra Club Hand book of Whales and Dolphins" or a more precise text
such as the multi-volume "Handbook of Marine Mammals" for more
information.
Best Regards
Peter

On Sun, 25 Mar 2001 15:01:38 EST LittleBrownFish@aol.com writes:
> I've heard from a friend of mine who works at cable & wireless that
> there was
> a sperm whale caught in an intercontinental undersea cable at an
> incredible
> depth. I've since learned that they can dive this deep, but is
> there any
> truth in the rumour, and have you any idea where I can find out
> more??
> Thanks, Lars, London Uk

Peter M."Skip" Scheifele LCDR USN (Ret.)
Director of Bioacoustic Research, University of Connecticut NURC NA&GL
(Voice) 860-405-9103/9121; acousticp2@juno.com;
scheifel@uconnvm.uconn.edu
www.nurc.uconn.edu
http://ap.nurc.uconn.edu/cos/