Re: is my turtle ok?

From: Peter M Scheifele (acousticp2@juno.com)
Date: Tue Mar 27 2001 - 21:49:18 EST

Deb

Turtles are not my area of specialty, whales are however my wife, Lesa is
an exotic animal trainer and emergency vet tech so she'll take this one
on.

Lesa writes:

I am assuming you are talking about a water turtle and not a land turtle.
 It sounds like she has a fungus which will need medical intervention to
save her life. The shell is as much a part of her body as the skin on
your back and your backbone is to you. If chunks are starting to be
lost, she needs immediate help. Reptile medicines have come a long way
in the past few years. Find a veterinarian who specializes in reptiles
and go there THIS WEEK. (Your state Department of Environmental
Protection or your State Department of Health should have a State
Veterinarian on staff who can direct you to some reptile veterinarians,
if you can't find any locally.)

Usually shell problems are caused by the way the cage is set up and kept.
 Make sure the water is being kept very, very clean (most good set ups
include filters) and that she has places where she can easily climb out
of the water to completely dry herself. These days there are bath
treatments to give healthy turtles on a daily or weekly basis (in a small
tub or tupperware container) for the health of their shell, but by the
sound of it, you can't use these treatments until your turtle is treated
by a vet, or you could cause more damage.

Also, the shell will not stay healthy if the turtle is not fed properly,
so make sure the diet is good and has calcium in it with a D vitamin
supplement.

If you have a zoo near you, the reptile expert there may be willing to
take a look at her for you. There are also turtle breeders on the
internet with far more experience than I who would be happy to answer
questions for you, and may be able to suggest some alternative
treatments.

Good luck!

Lesa

On Tue, 27 Mar 2001 18:36:06 -0500 "deb" <lpn37@bright.net> writes:
> her symptoms are brownish blackish spots on her shell with chunks
> missing out of it.my e-mail is lpn37@bright.net I thank you very
> very very much thanx alot!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Peter M."Skip" Scheifele LCDR USN (Ret.)
Director of Bioacoustic Research, University of Connecticut NURC NA&GL
(Voice) 860-405-9103/9121; acousticp2@juno.com;
scheifel@uconnvm.uconn.edu
www.nurc.uconn.edu
http://ap.nurc.uconn.edu/cos/