Re: whales ? mutiple births

From: Peter M Scheifele (acousticp2@juno.com)
Date: Wed Mar 28 2001 - 19:34:48 EST

As with most mammals this is certainly a possibilty albeit extremely
rare. If it were to happen a surrogate would likely assist but mom is
only likely to be able to adequately feed but one.

On Tue, 27 Mar 2001 20:50:56 -0800 "Marcelyn Goldak"
<mgoldak@sk.sympatico.ca> writes:
> My 80 year Dad old was wondering, can/do whales ever have twins or
> triplets? Could the Mom manage both or would a surrorgate help her
> or would only one infant whale be viable. Thanks for your help!

Peter M."Skip" Scheifele LCDR USN (Ret.)
Director of Bioacoustic Research, University of Connecticut NURC NA&GL
(Voice) 860-405-9103/9121; acousticp2@juno.com;
scheifel@uconnvm.uconn.edu
www.nurc.uconn.edu
http://ap.nurc.uconn.edu/cos/