Whales in General

From: Peter M Scheifele (acousticp2@juno.com)
Date: Wed Mar 28 2001 - 19:28:48 EST

Staci

My favorite whale and the one I do research on the most is the Beluga,
also known as the "white whale". Its scientific name is Delphinapterus
leucas (meaning white whale). It is also called the "sea Canary" because
it has the greatest vocal repertoire of the whales (although it does not
sing as humpbacks do). The two major populations are located in the St.
Lawrence River Estuary in Quebec, Canada and in the Arctic.

Beluga are very social animals and tend to run in pods of two to
thousands. They have no dorsal fin and are stocky animals built for
warmth. They tend to grow to about 4.5 m and weigh in at 1500 kg.
They're melon is fatty and very moveable maybe as a ,means of "steering
their acoustic beam". At birth they are gray (we call them "bleuvet").
Mothers give birth to one calf every two to three years and stay with
their young for as long as two years. They eat fish such as herring and
mackarel and squid. Sometimes they dive to the bottom and blow water at
the bottom to bring up worms and such. Their predators are polar bears
and Orca.

Beluga are very vocal making sqawks, buzzes, moans, grunts and a host of
other very loud sounds. They are fairly friendly and love to play.

Is this enough?? Let me know if you need more.
Good Luck
Peter

> My name is Staci Miller. I am a year 7 student at Greenock Primary,
> in Australia. At the moment, I am doing a project on whales. I was
> wondering if you could send me some information about any kind of
> whale. If you could send me some before next week, it would be much
> appreciated. Thankyou. From Staci Miller
> ---
> stacimil@greenockps.sa.edu.au
> http://www.greenockps.sa.edu.au/

Peter M."Skip" Scheifele LCDR USN (Ret.)
Director of Bioacoustic Research, University of Connecticut NURC NA&GL
(Voice) 860-405-9103/9121; acousticp2@juno.com;
scheifel@uconnvm.uconn.edu
www.nurc.uconn.edu
http://ap.nurc.uconn.edu/cos/