careers: difference between marine biologist, ecologist & oceanographer

From: Erich Hoyt (
Date: Tue Apr 03 2001 - 17:49:27 EDT

>Subject: (no subject)
>Date: Sun, Apr 1, 2001, 1:17 PM

> Hi I am very interested in marine biology and would like to
> become either a marine biologist, a marine ecologist, or maybe an
> oceanographer. i know they all have to do with marine life, but can you tell
> me what each of them does? i would really appriciate it.
> -catherine
> age 12

Dear Catherine

A marine biologist studies life in the sea, and it can be anything from the
tiniest plant plankton to blue whales.

A marine ecologist studies the relationship between the animals and the
particular part of the deep sea world that they live in.

An oceanographer focuses more on the processes of the ocean. There are
chemical, physical and biological oceanographers who specialize in one
aspect or another.

But in practice, scientists use whatever they can learn and harness to solve
problems, so it would not be unusual to find scientists specializing in one
or other area above but using whatever they could bring to bear to learn
more to solve a particular problem.

There is a lot of helpful information on careers if you read through the
WhaleNet website on the ed. resources page:

Good luck!

Erich Hoyt

This archive was generated by hypermail 2b30 : Mon Feb 25 2002 - 21:06:00 EST