Whaling Pros and Cons

From: Erich Hoyt (e.hoyt@virginnet.co.uk)
Date: Thu Apr 05 2001 - 23:29:23 EDT

From: "Ashley Frey" <cougar.girl@home.com>
To: <e.hoyt@virginnet.co.uk>, <pita@whale.wheelock.edu>
Subject: Whaling
Date: Wed, Apr 4, 2001, 8:01 PM

Hi my name is Ashley Frey. I am doing a position paper on
Whaling. I understand that it is a custom and tradition, but
I was wondering if there are any other reasons why it is a
good thing. If you could please get back to me ASAP or suggest any web
sites I would greatly appreciate it.

Thank you,

Ashley Frey
Escondido Varsity Cheer

-------------------------------

Dear Ashley,

The whalers in Norway and Japan feel there is an economic argument. This is
hotly disputed. I have done a lot of work on the economics of whale watching
and I feel that even in the short term, and definitely in the medium to long
term, whaling watching beats whaling by almost any narrow economic or wider
socioeconomic measure you can use. My report on whale watching around the
world is available on the www.ifaw.org website. Search using my name.
Another very useful site for whaling information is http://www.wdcs.org

But there is lots of information on whaling on the WhaleNet website. Just
use "whaling" as the keyword and go to the how to find page
http://whale.wheelock.edu/howtofind.html

For the other side, can find some pro whaling information on
http://www.worldcouncilofwhalers.com

They have links to other pro-whaling sites.

Don't believe everything you read!!!

Good luck!

Erich Hoyt