Tail print

From: Erich Hoyt (e.hoyt@virginnet.co.uk)
Date: Mon Apr 09 2001 - 03:27:20 EDT

From: "Wendy Warren" <john.n.wendy@verizon.net>
To: <e.hoyt@virginnet.co.uk>, <pita@whale.wheelock.edu>
Subject: Question
Date: Sun, Apr 8, 2001, 3:43 PM


We went on a whale watching trip from Gloucester, MA last October. While
looking through my pictures I found one of the oily-looking flat area that
is left on the surface of the water for a few moments after the whale has
went back under the water......what is the actual term that describes this

Thank you!!



Dear Wendy,

It's called the tail print or fluke print. The water isn't actually oily.
It's just flat from the power of the tail flukes pushing down against the
water as the whale dives deep.


Erich Hoyt

This archive was generated by hypermail 2b30 : Mon Feb 25 2002 - 21:06:00 EST