Orca: world population

From: Erich Hoyt (e.hoyt@virginnet.co.uk)
Date: Thu Apr 12 2001 - 22:52:35 EDT

>From: Janet Ford <jford@arlington.k12.ma.us>
>To: e.hoyt@virginnet.co.uk, pita@whale.wheelock.edu
>Subject: Orca populations
>Date: Thu, Apr 12, 2001, 10:33 AM
>

> I am a second grade student in Mrs. Ford's class and I am writing a
> report on orca whales. I have looked in a lot of books but I can not
> find out how many orcas there are in the whole world. Can you help
> me? Thank you,

That's a GOOD Question!

A few years ago I asked one of the senior orca scientists this same question
and together we added up rough estimates on a napkin.

The best number we could come up with was that orcas probably number in the
low tens of thousands. That means maybe somewhere between 10,000 and
40,000. But this is just a guess based on knowing the exact numbers in only
four or five key areas of the world.

You can find more about orcas on the WhaleNet website by searching for Orca
or the full species name Orcinus orca.

Good luck with your report, and thanks for your interest in orcas.

Erich Hoyt