Mako Shark behavior

From: Erich Hoyt (e.hoyt@virginnet.co.uk)
Date: Fri Apr 13 2001 - 22:16:56 EDT

>From: dmspegal <speagsd@fuse.net>
>To: e.hoyt@virginnet.co.uk, pita@whale.wheelock.edu
>Subject: Mako Sharks
>Date: Thu, Apr 12, 2001, 3:53 PM
>

> I am trying to locate information regarding this shark. I need to know
> if there are warning signs, such as fins, etc., before the shark leaps
> from the water.
>
> If you can't help me, could you please refer me to a site where I might
> get this information.
>
> I appreciate your time.
>
> Best Regards,
> Dawn

Dear Dawn,

I am really supposed to answer only on whales and dolphins, but I am
actually doing a book now that touches on sharks. I haven't seen any
reference to "warning signs" before they leap. Certainly, as with any
cetacean or fish that spends time near the surface, you might well see some
activity, a fin or part of the body at the surface before they would leap,
but I would strongly suspect that this was not predictable. It certainly
isn't in cetaceans. You can tell that from the number of people who take
pictures of blank water or splashes, when they're desperately trying to
photograph a whale or dolphin leaping.

I don't know the shark sites, you'd have to search, but a good general book
is the Nature Company Guide to Sharks and Rays which includes various
information on mako as well as other sharks, an on diving with them and
behavior in the water.

Good luck,

Erich Hoyt