Sharks: Difference between great white and megalodon

From: Erich Hoyt (e.hoyt@virginnet.co.uk)
Date: Sun Apr 15 2001 - 12:14:52 EDT

>From: walter kessler <wkess@juno.com>
>To: e.hoyt@virginnet.co.uk
>Subject: sharks
>Date: Sat, Apr 14, 2001, 8:01 PM
>

> We used to hear on T.V. about Carcharadon Carcharadon. Now we hear about
> Megaladon. What happened to Carcharadon Carcharadon?

Carcharodon carcharias is the great white shark.

Carcharodon megalodon is the giant or megalodon shark, a close relative of
the great white shark that has been extinct for at least 3 milion years. We
only have the fossil teeth of this shark and they are more than twice the
length of a great white shark's teeth. Scientists estimate that they may
have reach a length of more than 50 feet (15 m) and a weight of 25 tons
(25,000 kg), considerably larger than the great white shark.