Whale anatomy and history

From: Erich Hoyt (e.hoyt@virginnet.co.uk)
Date: Sun Apr 15 2001 - 15:21:33 EDT

From: J15rea@aol.com
To: e.hoyt@virginnet.co.uk, pita@whale.wheelock.edu
Subject: Hello
Date: Thu, Apr 12, 2001, 8:39 AM

I have a school project that I have to do on the internal anatomy of a
whale.
 I also need some Info on the history of whales. It would be great If you
send me some links, paperwork, etc. Thank You Very Much.

There's a lot of informtion on anatomy and history (either history of
whaling, history of human-whale encounters or the evolutionary history of
whales) on this site.

Try the How to Find page to start with:

 http://whale.wheelock.edu/howtofind.html

You can also search through the archives for Ask a Scientist using the words
anatomy and history.

You might also want to consult a number of popular books at the library that
would have descriptions as well as diagrams showing the internal anatomy
such as:

Peter Evans' book The Natural History of Whales and Dolphins published in
1987.

The multivolume series The Handbook of Marine Mammals by Ridgway and
Harrison, published by Academic Press.

A more popular treatment and lots of photos and diagrams can be found in The
Nature Company Guide to Whales, Dolphins & Porpoises by Carwardine, M et al,
1998.

A good university or large public library should have these.

Good luck and all the best,

Erich Hoyt