Re: What is the impact of oils spills on Marine mammals?

From: Cathy Schaeff (schaeff@american.edu)
Date: Tue Apr 24 2001 - 09:48:56 EDT

Hi Nicole,

Oil spills do affect whales and dolphins both directly and indirectly. If
whales were to move through an oil spill, the oil could make them sick, just
as it does other marine species. IF they try to avoid the spill they might
have to give up their feeding places and/or nurseries and travel further
from shore during their migration and hence have to swim longer distances.
As well, by changing their location and migration routes, whales might
expose themselves and their calves to harsher ocean conditions and/or more
predation.

Cathy Schaeff