Re: WHALE INTELLIGENCE AND MATING RITUALS

From: Cathy Schaeff (schaeff@american.edu)
Date: Fri Apr 27 2001 - 14:05:19 EDT

Hi Monika,

Fin whales are a baleen species (mysticete). They are not a particularly social species and so groups of animals come together only for mating. Mating is promiscuous -- not pair bonds formed between males and females, each animal probably mates with numerous partners. The males' testis are very large relative to their body size which suggests that there is sperm competition (male tries to wash out sperm left by female's previous mate). Females are larger than males. The males don't provide any parental care.

For your question about whale intelligence try:
http://www.highnorth.no/Library/Myths/Cont-win.htm

good luck.

Cathy

Cathy Schaeff
Associate Professor and Chair
Biology Department
American University
4400 Mass. Ave NW
Washington Dc 20016-8007
phone: (202) 885-2194; fax: (202) 885-2182
    -----Original Message----a