Shark sleep

From: Jennifer Philips (jphilips@hawaii.edu)
Date: Wed May 02 2001 - 16:20:49 EDT

Jen,
How is it possible that sharks are able to go without sleep? Is it an
instinctive trait or part of their genetic makeup like a hormone? If you
could provide me with as detailed a response as possible I would be very
grateful.
Thanks,
Josh

Josh,

Since I am a marine mammal scientist, I can't personally answer your
question about sharks. I'd recommend that you take a look at this website
authored by Rick Martin, a shark biologist. I found a good link on his site
pertaining to sleep which might answer your question.

http://www.reefquest.com/topics/sleep.htm

Thanks,
Jen