Concerns

From: Jennifer Philips (jphilips@hawaii.edu)
Date: Thu May 03 2001 - 02:20:11 EDT

Hi!
My name is Mitzie Moore, and I am doing a research paper on whales. I was
wondering what is a major concern that scientists and researchers face when
dealing with whales? You may email me with a response at
mmitzie@onebox.com. Thank you.

Mitzie

-------------

Mitzie,

There are many concerns that scientists have in regards to whales, covering
a range of different topics. The one topic that covers many special
concerns, and is probably therefore the greatest concern for scientists, is
the issue of conservation. The endangerment of many species of whales due to
over-whaling during the majority of the last century (1900's) brought whales
to the forefront for conservationists. Today, most species that were placed
on the endangered list due to whaling still remain endangered, despite the
fact that most countries have stopped whaling entirely. The protection of
whales today is still a very important issue. They have to be protected not
only from whaling, but from other pressures as well. Noise in the oceans
caused by human activities could disrupt the lives of whales. Pollution from
cities and industry could endanger their health and lives. Overshipping
disturbs their habitats. Overfishing depletes their food source.

I hope this answers your question, and gives you something to go on for your
paper. Thank you for your question,

Jen Philips