dork

From: Jennifer Philips (jphilips@hawaii.edu)
Date: Wed May 09 2001 - 02:59:37 EDT

Hello;

I am sure that you may think this is a prank or some form of stupid
e-mail!!! I can only hope that you think otherwise.

My son and some of his friends in school, ( 5th - 6th grade) are in a mode
of play that is apparently centered around the point that a whales penis is
called a "dork". It has brought some unique challanges to my wife and I, as
well as some rather questionable situations to the area.

My question is, is the penis of a whale called a dork?

I cannot find proof in my searches in the internet and want to
do.....something.....about this form of jockularity that is getting out of
hand in my opinion.

If you can either verify or denu this "fact"? Please give me a hyperlink or
some form of way to prove the fact so I can address the situation.

I thank you in advancefor a rather unique question line, and admire your
career;

Respectfully submitted;

Mike

----------------

Mike,

You're right, this is an odd question, but here goes:

I found this site, which deals with the etymology of words:
(http://www.takeourword.com/Issue011.html)
"The word (dork) is first recorded in 1964 with the meaning "penis". By 1972
it had come to mean "a fool" and that is the meaning that is most often
intended today. Though the word’s origin is not known with certainty, it is
thought that it might be a variation of dick (slang for "penis) with the
influence of dirk (a small knife)."

and The American Heritage Dictionary says:
(http://www.bartleby.com/61/54/D0345450.html)

"NOUN : 1. Slang A stupid, inept, or foolish person: “the stupid antics of
America's favorite teen-age cartoon dorks” (Joshua Mooney) The Detroit News
( carried via Entertainment News Wire), Friday December 27, 1996. 2. Vulgar
Slang The penis.

ETYMOLOGY: Perhaps from dork. variant of dirk "

Hope I've helped. Of course, I learned something myself!
Jen Philips