Marine Biologist Interview

From: Jennifer Philips (jphilips@telocity.com)
Date: Thu May 10 2001 - 02:37:58 EDT

MY name is Genevieve Ivanoff I am doing a project about what a marine
biologist does. I was wondering if you can answer a few questions. Here
they are.
1.How much training do you have to go threw?
2.Do you study animalsto see how to save them?
3.Do marine biologists clean the animals after an oil spill?
4.Do you earn a good saleri?
5.do marine biologists take garbidge off the necks of animals?
     I Hope you can help me.

                        Sincerly,
                            Genevieve
                                    Ivanoff

-------------

Genevieve,

Here are my answers:

1.How much training do you have to go threw?
Marine biologists have to earn a bachelor's degree, then they have to
complete a graduate education and earn a PhD degree. That is usually 4-5
years for the bachelor's, then about 5-8 more years for the PhD. I seems
like a huge amount of time to spend in school, but for many students the
process of graduate school is very much like their work will be after they
have earned their degree. They conduct research, attend and teach classes,
analyze data, and interact with their peers.

2.Do you study animalsto see how to save them?
I think all biologists have that goal in mind, at least in part. We all hope
that the insights our research adds to the knowledge of a species will help
people to come up with better ways to help keep the animals healthy.
Research is often not so directly related to conservation, though. For
example, the more a researcher can learn about the reproductive biology of a
species of dolphin that happens to live in an area of heavy shipping
traffic, the more likely people will be able to protect their calving
grounds from cargo ships, or their feeding areas from whale watching boats.

3.Do marine biologists clean the animals after an oil spill?
Marine biologists are among many different types of people to help during a
disaster cleanup such as an oil spill. During times like that, the aid of
anyone willing to help is always welcomed. Marine biologists might be able
to offer their knowledge of a species to the cleanup.

4.Do you earn a good saleri?
In general, scientists do not earn very much money. That is definitely not
the reason for going into the discipline! After earning a PhD, a marine
biologist with a new position at a university might earn from $30,000 to
$50,000.

5.do marine biologists take garbidge off the necks of animals?
If we can, we definitely do!'

I hope I've answered your questions!
Thanks,
Jen Philips