Shamu a shark?

From: Jennifer Philips (jphilips@telocity.com)
Date: Thu May 10 2001 - 16:04:58 EDT

This is a really simple question one that we have been looking for. I was
watching the Discovery Channel and on a show about sharks it said that Shamu
although referred to as a whale is actually a shark. Can you confirm or
deny. Please thank you Pammi

Pammi,

As far as I know, Shamu is the stage name of the killer whales housed by Sea
World. I think the original Shamu (a female) is no longer alive, but she was
only the first in a long succession of orcas given the name there. I have
not heard the name Shamu used to refer to a shark before. Hmmm...

Thanks for your question!
Jen Philips