Drinking

From: Howard Garrett (tokitae@pugetsound.net)
Date: Mon May 21 2001 - 23:53:35 EDT

> How do whales,seals,and dolphins change salt water into fresh water for
>drinking? I have the same question about salt water crocs, and other
>reptiles.
> Robert

         I can't say much when it comes to crocs and other reptiles, but my
understanding, and a quick search of previous ASK answers to similar
questions, is that cetaceans get most of their fluids from the blood of
their prey, from copepods to krill to fish and squid to mammals. But in
addition, their kidneys are large and highly developed for removing salt
from water.

Howard Garrett
Orca Conservancy
2403 So. North Bluff Rd.